Well, we’re nearing the awards season which means multiple awards ceremony nominations will be announced soon. One set of nominations that have already been announced is the Annies, the “Oscar for animated films”. I’ve listed the four categories that I’m most interested in below, but if you want a list of all the nominations, then click here.
BEST ANIMATED FEATURE:
-Kubo and the Two Strings
-Kung Fu Panda 3
BEST ANIMATED FEATURE-INDEPENDENT:
-Long Way North
-My Life As A Zucchini
-The Red Turtle
BEST ANIMATED SHORT SUBJECT:
-Path Title Sequence
VOICE ACTING IN AN ANIMATED FEATURE PRODUCTION:
-Art Parkinson as Kubo (Kubo and the Two Strings)
-Auli’i Cravalho as Moana (Moana)
-Katie Crown as Tulip (Storks)
-Zooey Deschanel as Bridget (Trolls)
-Jason Bateman as Nick Wilde (Zootopia)
Well, here are some of my thoughts on these nominations:
- I completely forgot about Kung Fu Panda 3, lol! At least the Annies remembered them! Now, do I think it should have been nominated? Well, since the Annies differentiates between mainstream animated films and independent ones, then I guess Kung Fu Panda 3 was a good fit for the 5th slot. I mean, what else could it have been? The Secret Life of Pets? Sing? Norm of the North?
- Like my friend, Rachel Wagner from 54disneyreviews.com, I was hoping that April and the Extraordinary World would be nominated in the independent animated film category. It was a really interesting steampunk-ish film with a premise that’s really creative and nigh original. I haven’t watched a film like that in a long time!
- I’m also disappointed that Borrowed Time didn’t get nominated for Best Animated Short Subject. If you haven’t seen it, I strongly recommend it! It’s a really heavy-hitting, emotional short film! I think I almost cried…or maybe I did…I can’t remember.
- Like usual, the voice acting nominations are great choices (at least from the ones I’ve seen/heard)! Maybe I’d have liked to see Ginnifer Goodwin on there too, but at least one person from Zootopia is good enough for me!
- While I didn’t list this above, Moana was NOT nominated in the music category at all! I don’t know if this has to do with these nominations being settled before most people saw Moana or what, but it’s really shocking to have a Disney musical NOT nominated in the music category!
What are your thoughts on these nominations? Which were surprises to you? What do you feel was snubbed? Which do you think will win? Let me know in the comments below!